The Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company, commonly referred to as Penn Mutual, was founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1847. It was the seventh mutual life insurance company chartered in the United States.
Penn Mutual is headquartered in Horsham, Pennsylvania, just outside Philadelphia. Its subsidiaries include the brokerage firm Janney Montgomery Scott.
Penn Mutual’s original Philadelphia headquarters building at the corner of Walnut and 6th Street was a cast-iron structure that was replaced in 1913 by one designed by Edgar Viguers Seeler (1867–1929).
This was added to on the east side in 1931, and again in 1969–70 by a glass tower at 510 Walnut Street which retained the 1838 Egyptian Revival facade of John Haviland’s Pennsylvania Fire Insurance Company Building (1838), the east portion and cornice of which was designed by Theophilus Chandler, Jr. in 1901, as a stand-alone structure which serves as a screen to the building’s entrance courtyard.
The tower, which won on American Institute of Architects Honor Award in 1977, was designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates.
600 Dresher Road
Horsham, PA 19044